National Legal Aid Bureau, Bulgaria
Bulgaria established the legal aid system in civil and administrative cases as well as free legal representation in civil, administrative and criminal proceeding with the adoption of the Act on Legal Aid (published in SG 79/04.10.2005, in force from January, 1st 2006) by the Parliament.
The National Legal Aid Bureau (NLAB) has been established as an independent state body, a legal entity and a second grade disposer of budget credits to the Minister of Justice.
The Regulation on the organization and the function of the National Legal Aid Bureau and the Ordinance of payment of legal services have been adopted with a Decree of the Council of Ministers No 4/06.01.2006 (SG5/17.01.2006), in force from 01.01.2006.
The National Legal Aid Bureau has a separated budget for the administration of the legal services on its own disposal. The responsibilities of the NLAB are as follows:
• general and methodical supervision over the activities related to the rendering of legal aid;
• payment of the rendered legal aid;
• control over the rendering of legal aid;
• organization and keeping of the National Register of Legal Aid;
• popularization of the Legal Aid System;
• Preparation of bills and other acts in legal aid filed, which shall be tabled to the Council of Ministers.
The National Legal Aid Register contains a list of attorneys, supposed to provide legal services to the clients. The attorney has to file an application, approved by the local Bar Council for inscribing at the National Legal Aid Register. The National Legal Aid Register shall be published on Internet.
The NLAB is exclusively competent for the decision upon applications for legal assistance in the pre-trial stage.
For more information, please visit www.nbpp.government.bg
Contact person: Ms. Radost Karamfilova – PR and Protocol
Tel.: 00359 2 8193 208; Mobile: 00359 884 532150